V8 into a standard RB BGT, advice

MGB V8 car discussion forum.
Not_Anumber

V8 into a standard RB BGT, advice

Post by Not_Anumber » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:54 am

A friend has kindly donated a good SD1 engine and an LT 5 speed gearbox so it would be rude not to fit this in my BGT. Can anyone please recommend a list of parts i should start looking for to make the conversion ?

Its a 1980 standard late rubber bumper MGBGT.

Not_Anumber

Re: V8 into a standard RB BGT, advice

Post by Not_Anumber » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:14 pm

The Roger Williams book seems to be aimed at 200bhp plus cars and involves the use of upgrades which strike me as less likely to be necessary if the intention is to produce something closer to the original MGBGTV8. which was frankly a cracking car just the way it was.

Though I do have access to an LT77 gearbox Im conscious this would need a custom propshaft made plus bodywork mods to the top of the tunnel to provide clearance, speedo drive etc,etc. Its not clear to me why it would be worth doing this when I could use the standard 4 speed overdrive box which is currently in the car as it was regarded as strong enough for use in the factory MGBGTV8. What are the convincing reasons against ?

Equally, many converters extol the virtues of using the later MGRV8 style manifolds, presenting this as the only way to go. I can see it may be a little better than the BGT V8 was for cooling but block hugger manifolds can be bought for less than half the price and wouldnt need any holes cut in the inner wings.

Also - bonnet clearance seems to be an issue almost whatever way people go on the inlet manifold. Accepting that a bonnet bulge is probably going to be inescapable then is there any real reason why i shouldnt reuse the SD1 manifold and carbs ?

Id be grateful for any thoughts

Return to “MGB V8 Forum”