Recently purchase 'UDL' which had been fully restoed (see below) some 16 years ago but had only covered 6000 miles since.
This car , originally registered back in September 1971 on the Isle of Wight, eventually found it’s way down to Cornwall (see History File) where, over a period between April 1999 and may 2000 it underwent a full body / interior / mechanical rebuild by Tim Kelly and his team at Tim Kelly MG Specialists of St. Agnes . Heritage Certificate matches the Vin Plate and Engine block plate.
During this restoration UDL228K was also repainted in Old English White and retrimmed in Red – a colour combination seen on the Mk2 roadsters in 1967/8. Prior to resto. it was finished in Flame Red with Black Interior although it actually left the factory in Bedouin with Autumn Leaf Interior.
I intend to complete a 'History File' in due course inc. details of all previous 7 owners etc and shall hopefully also establish when it had it 's 'intermediate' colour change to Flame Red etc. !
Since acquisition I have added a remote servo , electric fan and electronic ignition.
A summary of the Restoration 16 years ago is as follows...............
· Stripped down to bare shell , 4 new wings , new inner wing box sections, new inner rear wings , new heritage floor panels , new doors, new heritage front valance. Original Alloy Bonnet and steel boot lid still good for purpose and refurbishment.
· Then onto roll over jig for full preparation pre- painting. Rear wing joints lead loaded. Complete body acid etched, then high build primer dry flatted followed by second coat of high build primer , again dry flatted.
· Then 4 coats of PPG Old English White 2 pack to whole body inside and out. Underbody sprayed with Stone Guard prior to Old English White paint finish. All exterior panels then again hand flatted followed by machine polishing.
· All box sections / door interiors etc cavity waxed- Shell then built up with new waist trims / fastenings.
· Both bumpers rechromed plus new over riders.
· New side indicators units / New headlight bowls, gaskets , inner chrome rings , sealed beam units , outer chrome rings.
· New air grille and mesh, recessed front grill and bonnet trim.
· New reverse light lenses.
· Doors built up with new outer drop glass seal , new o/side door glass , new quarter light seals. Door catches and keepers re-plated.
· Reconditioned Windscreen Frame with new windscreen glass and all seals inc. re-chroming of hood catch eyes.
· Dashboard stripped to bare metal and ‘re crinkled’
· Seats stripped and frames repainted in black , recovered in red leather with all new diaphragms and seat foams, also red leather headrests.
· Fitted new fully moulded red carpet set and red trim panel set with white piping.
· Dash top recovered and new crash rail fitted, rear cockpit rail recovered.
· Hood frame shot blasted and repainted in black along with header rail and new rear bar.
· New Mohair Hood fitted plus new front seal.
· Door capping recovered in red with new chrome cappings.
· New door seals fitted plus new courtesy light switches.
· Engine and Gearbox stripped down and cylinder head converted to lead free status.
· All engine tolerances checked and found to be excellent (recent rebuild) although new piston Rings and Big End shells fitted whilst engine was apart.
· All seals and gaskets renewed.
· Gearbox rebuilt with all new layshaft bearings – again all seals and gaskets renewed.
· New 3 piece clutch.
· New seals to Master and Slave cylinders plus new flexible and copper pipework.
· Brake and Clutch hydraulic systems bled and refilled with Silicon fluid.
· New fuel tank and fuel piping to engine bay.
· New fuel pump and flexible hosing set.
· Carbs. Stripped , cleaned and rebuilt.
· Both manifolds refurbished.
· New stainless exhaust system inc. all new mountings.
· New Oil cooler and hoses.
· New radiator and hoses.
· Complete new wiring loom
· All engine bay black parts blasted and repainted black plus all new associated labels etc.
· Front crossmember stripped down , shot blasted and refinished in black.
· New coil springs , leaf springs inc. new fitting kit.
· New Bump Stops.
· Reconditioned stub axles.
· Reconditioned front and rear shock absorbers. (Rears were previously converted to telescopics and remained in situ albeit reconditioned as stated).
· All new rubber bushes - wishbone bushes replaced with new V8 versions.
· Reconditioned Steering Rack.
· New track rod ends.
WHEELS , TYRES and BRAKES
· Refurbished chrome Rostyle wheels fitted with new centre caps and stainless nuts .
· Full set of new Uniroyal Tyres fitted.
· New Spare Wheel clamp and tool bag plus new original style jack.
· New brake pads and shoes.
· Reconditioned Front Calipers.
· New wheel cylinders.
· All brake pipes replaced in kunifer.
· Brake master cylinder refurbished with new seals etc.
· New Handbrake cable.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest