Timing Cover Stripped Thread

MG Midget Forum
Red Midget

Timing Cover Stripped Thread

Post by Red Midget » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Having a persistent and most annoying oil leak from the front of my Midget 1500, I decided that I would remove the timing cover and try to stop the leak. While in the process, I decided that I might as well fit the duplex chain and sprocket kit.
Fitting the kit was simple but when refitting the cover I found to my dismay that the cause of the oil leak was the fact that the bottom thread had stripped and I could not get the required torque on it.
The only option appeared to be to fit a helicoil insert, but there is just not enough room to drill/tap and fit the insert.
My query therefore is - does anyone know if it is possible to renew the front engine crank seal block whilst the engine is in the car?
I was hoping that maybe this could be done from underneath by removing the sump.
Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Red Midget

Re: Timing Cover Stripped Thread

Post by Red Midget » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:45 pm

Well plenty of viewers but no replies.
But now I can confirm to you all myself that it IS possible as I have just removed the offending item.
With the car on ramps it's a bit awkward and there's not a lot of room, but it is possible to remove the sump.
Having drained the oil/coolant and removed the radiator the crank pulley and timing chain cover,it was a simple job to undo the 4 screws holding the crank sealing block and prize it out.
Once I have fitted the new one and reassembled everything I will post again, hopefully to confirm that the oil leak has been fixed.

Red Midget

Re: Timing Cover Stripped Thread

Post by Red Midget » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:49 pm

Success, the jobs finished and there's no more oil leak.
That's what I like about these old classics. Get stuck in and anything is possible.

Return to “MG Midget Forum”