Replacement wishbone arms and wheel bearing grease

MGB discussion board for Roadster and GT classic car models.
Muttontop

Replacement wishbone arms and wheel bearing grease

Post by Muttontop » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:17 pm

Hi
I'm new to this board and am hoping that someone out there can help me. I have a 1969 MGB GT which I am currently replacing one set of wishbone arms due to play in the bottom kingpin fulcrum (the mounting holes in the arms are elongated). I have seen wishbone arms which state they are non negative camber and ones which state they are negative camber, which ones would I need and why are there two types? Having changed the arms and bushes on one side do I need to change these components on the other side?
Also, having had to remove the hub from the stub axle I need to add grease, can I mix high temperature greases or do I have to take all the old grease out, clean the bearings and re grease with new grease?
Thanks for any help or advise.

adamliptrot

Re: Replacement wishbone arms and wheel bearing grease

Post by adamliptrot » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:03 am

Negative camber ones are not standard; mainly useful in trackday cars for extra cornering ability but I'd say would also wear tyres quicker. The negative camber arms will be longer to push out the bottom of the tyre a little.
With the bushes I'd be tempted to do the same work on the opposite side. Chances are whatever needs doing on one side will shortly need doing on the other, so its easier to do them both while you remember what the order was.
I would think the grease would be fine, but can't say for certain - while its apart you might want to check the bearings anyway.
More about my B: http://www.incayellow.com

Return to “MGB Roadster & MGB GT Forum”